Copyright © Calhoun County Fair Association. All rights reserved.
THE CALHOUN COUNTY FAIR ASSOCIATION
Definition: Jams are a thick, sweet spread made by cooking crushed or chopped fruit with sugar. Jams tend to hold their shape but are generally less firm then jelly.
H-7.7 Citrus marmalade
H-7.11 Orange Marmalade
H-7.19 Watermelon Rind
H-8.5 Hot Pepper
H-8.7 Picante (thinner and soupier)
H-8.8 Salsa (thick and chunky)
H-8.11 Tomato Catsup
H-8.12 Tomato Paste
H-8.13 Tomato Puree
H-9.1 Red Meats
H-9.2 White Meats (non-poultry)
H-9.7 Fruit Juices
H-9.8 Vegetable Juices
H-9.9 Mixed Juices
(2 or more fruits and/or vegetables)
H-9. 12 Other
Preserves are small, whole fruit or uniform size pieces in a clear,
slightly gelled syrup. The fruit should be tender and plump.
H-6.7 Citrus marmalade
H-6.11 Orange Marmalade
H-6.19 Watermelon Rind
Calhoun County Fair Association
186 Henry Barber Way
PO BOX 42
Port Lavaca, TX, United States
CALHOUN COUNTY FAIR ASSOCIATION
H. CANNED GOODS DEPARTMENT
Special Rules for Canned Goods
1. REGISTRATION is Monday October 15 from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.
2. Entries are limited to one item per category per exhibitor. If a division category has sub-categories, only one entry in each sub-category will be allowed per exhibitor. Where applicable, participants may enter one jar of whole product and one jar of sliced product in each class.
3. Adult entries will be judged based upon the following separation:
a. Adult: 19 - 64 years old
b. Senior Citizens: 65+ years old
4. Youth entries will be judged based upon the following separation:
a. Sub-Junior: 4 - 8
b. Juniors: 9 - 13
c. Seniors: 14 – 18
5. Day Care and Preschool ages – Ribbons only
6. Awards - a blue, red, or white ribbon will be awarded to each entry based upon merit. Grand & Reserve Champion rosettes awarded within each Division by Age Category, based upon merit.
7. Canned goods must be in standard jars. No mayonnaise or other odd-shaped jars will be accepted. No colored jars will be accepted. The jars must be clean and polished and without chips. No embellishments are allowed. Do not cover or decorate lids or any part of the jar. Do not put your name on any part of the jars, names are only allowed on the entry tag.
8. Lids must be sealed. Lids and rings must be free of rust and other defects. The use of paraffin for sealing is not permitted.
9. Neat, plain labels, with the product name, are to be placed on the front of the jar. No labels or writing should be on the lid of the entry.
10. No homemade wine entries will be accepted.
H-1 Canned Vegetables
H-1.1 Green Beans
H-1.8 Black Eyed Peas
H-1.10 Okra & Tomatoes
H-1.16 Sweet Potatoes
H-1.19 Soup Mix
H-1.20 Vegetable Mix (2 or more vegetables)
H-2 Canned Fruit
H-2.15 Fruit Mix (2 or more fruits)
H-3.1 Pickled Beans
H-3.2 Pickled Beets
H-3.3 Bread & Butter Pickles
H-3.4 Dill Pickles
H-3.5 Mustard Pickles
H-3.6 Sour Pickles
H-3.7 Sweet Pickles
H-3.8 Pickle Mix (2 or more pickles)
H-3.9 Pickled Green Tomatoes
H-3.10 Pickled Okra
H-3.11 Pickled Onions
H-3.14 Pickled Peppers
H-3.15 Pickled Squash
H-3.17 Watermelon Rind
H-4.2 Chow Chow
H-4.5 Cucumber Relish
H-4.6 Pear Relish
H-4.7 Pepper Relish
H-4.8 Sweet Pickle Relish
H-4.9 Sour Pickle Relish
H-4.10 Tomato Relish
H-4.11 Vegetable Relish (2 or more vegetables)
Definition: Jellies are usually made by cooking fruit juice with sugar.
A good product is clear and firm enough to hold its shape when turned
out of the container, but quivers when the container is moved.
H-5.10 Green Pepper
H-5.11 Jalapeno Pepper